Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Trip To The Heidelberg

I was checking my Facebook the other day and I got a message from a songwriter named Allee Willis. She's a native Detroiter that was amused by the fact that my name is Nate Willis and her father's name was also Nate Willis. She told me that she was coming to Detroit from Los Angeles to film a music video at The Heidelberg Project and that she would like to meet me. She's most famous for writing "September" for Earth Wind and Fire and the theme song from Friends. I made sure to get her a Nate Willis 'Woodlawn' t shirt because she stated that she felt a certain affinity toward the Sphinx design. When I met her, there wasn't much time for a good talk since everyone was jockeying for her attention. I got interrupted in mid conversation with her by some guy talking to her about him creating a Detroit Walk of Fame. She told him that I make t shirts and he asked me for a card. I don't carry cards and he thought I was just a silkscreener and when I told him that I don't actually make the shirts and that I design them, he got pretty arrogant with me stating, "Oh, I was going to let you in on something". Allee herself was pretty nice to me.. The crowd was full of a few nice people and a few people obviously desperate for attention and recognition as "artists". Seriously, I hate artsy crowds. The fucking egos on people when they smell fame in the air is ridiculous. The best conversationalist in the crowd was a random guy from the east side that had no idea what was going on. He came up to me, like, "Wuttup doe?" I told him what was going on and I told him there were a lot of out-of-towners in the crowd and he told me that he could tell I was from here and that's why he approached me for the scoop. A few people did that, actually. I must look approachable enough. I signed the waiver and got myself into her music video. All in all, it was a good time. There were enough humble people in the crowd to offset the self important "artists" to make for a nice crowd. I got more shots of the actual Heidelberg Project than I did of the goings on around me. I kinda regret that. I do have some video footage. Maybe I'll edit it and upload it later. Anyway...check out some photos...











No comments:

Post a Comment