Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Trip To Corktown

I found myself in Corktown the other day. Corktown is the oldest neighborhood in Detroit and it was originally inhabited by Irish immigrants. It is one of the most culturally rich and trendy neighborhoods in Detroit today and the Irish influence is still strong. I once had the pleasure of doing business with a woman in Corktown whose historic home was used in the making of the film, "Kill The Irishman". When she told me that, I put watching that film high on my list of priorities and I was amused to see the home I was just sitting in, on my television screen with some great A-list actors in the very spot I was just at. Pretty dope.


I went to Corktown yesterday and saw the usual crowd. Hipsters, businessmen and tourists, all congregating around Roosevelt Park and Slow's BBQ. I parked right across from Imagination Station and took a load off for a few minutes. It was a hot summer day and the A/C in my car hasn't been the most accomodating so I was left to have my front windows open to allow for a cross breeze to cool my cabin. In turning my engine off and opening my windows, it allowed for the city sounds and fresh air to engulf my vehicle's interior.I was chillin'.



  Imagination Station, Detroit
 If you're in the area, be sure to try the Corktown Mini Golf that has been setup right next to Imagination Station on 14th St. When I was there, a woman had set up shop with a cooler full of bottled waters and a few putters and balls for rent. The Michigan Central Station has been undergoing revitalization efforts and the changes that have been made are very subtle but noticeable. The structure's windows no longer have shards of broken glass stuck in the sashes and the overall perimeter is cleaner. There were several construction trucks with workers going in and out of the structure while I was parked there so the assumption would be that the efforts are in full swing. In going to Corktown, it's obvious that it's a neighborhood on the upswing and things are looking good.
  Imagination Station, DetroitCorktown Mini Golf

No comments:

Post a Comment