Friday, November 1, 2013

Ride It Sculpture Park

I stopped by Ride It Sculpture park today. I hung out with a few skateboarders that were confined to riding a small portion of the park while the construction crew from Oregon kept busy adding to the park. Tony Hawk donated $30,000 to the construction of the park and the neighborhood has been putting it to good use. Everytime I pass by, there's a handful of kids out skating it. A few weeks ago I went by there and spoke with Mitch Cope. Mitch is coordinating the construction and financing of the project. He's an interesting guy with a background in art and he seems to genuinely want to make a difference in the city. Detroit needs things like this. I can't wait until next summer when the weather gets nicer and the park comes back to life. Hopefully there'll be some competitions. If so, please believe I'll be there to cover it.

No comments:

Post a Comment