Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Trip To Chicago

I took a trip to Chicago recently with my woman after she decided she wanted to get out of town for a day. We played it by ear and just went. Once we got there, I found myself having to navigate a foreign jungle that operates on a totally different level than what I'm used to. To me, Chicago was the America I've missed out on. It was the America that had advanced and become World Class while Detroit has fallen. I'm used to wide streets that Henry Ford built with little to no pedestrian traffic. I'm used to excessive blight and the occasional wild Pheasant flying past you on the street. I'm used to apathy and neglect.
Chicago is a city that makes you pay before you can even come in. I was getting lighter in my pocket by just taking the roads my GPS suggested and if I ever meet that English broad that serves as my navigator, I'm going to open hand slap her like Tommy Hearns. My woman and I were in search of a decent hotel room with a view. Our attempts to secure anything downtown were a bust. A call to the Hyatt came back with some chickenhead on the other end telling me that all the rooms had been booked because Jay Z, Beyonce and Kanye West were coming into town later in the week. I replied with, "Well, that's very nice for them." We ended up staying on the North side by Loyola Park. We enjoyed Loyola Park. It was a slower pace than the downtown area and the beach was beautiful. We got a real deep dish pizza from J.B. ALbierto's and it was grubbin' as a mothafucka!!! Kudos to ChiTown on their righteous pizza.
We left Chicago after a night on the North side and we took the scenic route back home. We drove up Lake Shore Drive and took in all the scenes. Chicago truly is a beautiful city that's full of life. Life...something I'm not used to seeing. Would I ever live in Chicago? I really can't see that happening. As a Detroiter, I can't see myself abandoning what others see as a lost cause, but myself, know to be a land of opportunity. Opportunities not available in cities like Chicago. My individual presence seems larger in my depopulated wasteland. Anarchy is mine if I want it. Industry is mine if I so choose. I feel as if Detroit is the gold mine that was declared useless and sold just before the riches were discovered, and I'm here to collect the riches. Salute to Chicago, but Detroit is my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment